Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Post Production


           Lee Nelson
Comm2660
Prof. Eric Young
Post- Production
POST PRODUCTION

This research was from the same source as my last two. The Out Of bounds productions is honestly my number one source for advertising purposes and short film productions they are great to work with.
My final research I decided to focus on their editor, who for obvious reasons has his hands full and has a large task to behold as he endeavors to create the masterpiece. Frank Whitley is the lead editor at out of bounds and has been their main man since early 2007. This time I was able to catch Frank at work while I was up north last weekend he gave me a quick tour and allowed me to bombard him with questions.
Lee: What aspect of post production makes you cringe?
Frank: Haha I would say syncing the entire production has caused me more grief than any single aspect of the editing process.
Lee:Now that you have some years under your belt, where do you see your career going from here?
Frank: I have no idea. It's like any other line of work, its here or it is ripped from under you, really depending on how serious you take it.
Lee: Have you ever had a nightmare of a post production? If so tell about it.
Frank: About 3 years ago we were working on an outdoors advertisement for sportsmans wearhouse and the entire project that we had worked on, which had taken 2 weeks of nonstop shooting, had been lost with the mis sync that took place in the final cut pro program. That was not a big deal until shortly after my system froze and I lost the entire project. Never have I felt so low in my life I wanted to smack my own face till I was green in the jaw.
Lee: What is your number one rule to those going into post production editing?
Frank: I think this line of work is a lot like fire fighters, in the fact you dont have a consistent roll in work but when you work you have to work hard, fast, efficient and concise. My first rule is organize organize organize. If you have any red personality qualities this is the most useful aspect of it. As you know the system and know how to use folders they will become saviors for you in all aspects of post production.
Lee: How many programs have you worked with in editing?
Frank: I have worked on 2 programs is all and I try my best to be familiar with other programs even though I will always stick to my final cut pro.
Lee: What is your words of wisdom for anyone who is looking into this line of work as a career?
Frank: I would say it is a great style of work to get away from other stressful jobs but I would say make it a side job considering the life of editors and difficulty in retaining your position. Maybe learn another aspect of digital film so that you can have your name and title in the industry.
Lee: Thanks for your time Frank. All the best.
Frank: Thank you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment